It’s Friday! Would you like to spend some time being a nerd on the internet instead of doing whatever else you should probably be doing? If so, here are some links I enjoyed this week!
- On Nalo Hopkinson’s Brown Girl in the Ring: ‘The 1998 dystopian novel that eerily foresaw 2013 Detroit‘.
- Fantastic video on body representation in video games: ‘Gaming and the exaggerated, unrealistic human body‘.
- One of the two reasons that I saw Pacific Rim three times in theatres: ‘Pacific Rim and lessons in positive masculinity‘ (the other reason was obviously giant robots fighting giant monsters).
- On the problematic treatment of Deanna Troi in TNG: ‘No empathy for the empath: The violations of Conselour Troi‘.
- Relevant to the interests of this blog: ‘How to support rad lady authors‘.
- Some interesting thoughts on how job titles (or lack thereof) impact work environments: ‘Why job titles matter if you care about diversity‘.
- Oculus Rift has strong potential for creating empathy games, among other uses: ‘Oculus’ founder on the pros and cons of virtual reality for social good‘.