It’s Friday! Would you like to spend some time being a nerd on the internet instead of doing whatever else you should probably be doing? If so, here are some links I enjoyed this week!
- Filed alongside ‘women are too hard to animate’ under ridiculous justifications for not having female player characters: ‘Final Fantasy XV Director says an all-male-party makes the game “more approachable”‘.
- Also via The Mary Sue, ‘They Are No Men,’: Six of Tolkien’s most badass women who aren’t in The Lord of the Rings.
- My fave Naomi Alderman discusses her experiences in the tech industry: ‘The women I pretend to be‘
- Recommend your favourite writers at FantasyCafe for ‘Women in SF&F Month‘
- Strange Horizons SF Count 2014, which looks at numbers of POC and women who write and review science fiction.
- What video games can teach us about ethics and conformity (mild spoilers for The Walking Dead Game): ‘If you didn’t kill that zombie, maybe I won’t either‘
- A new Tumblr helps victims of sexual violence avoid triggering material: ‘Is there rape in it?’